Online Roulette Guide

Online Roulette Guide

‘Little Wheel’ – it’s the French meaning of the game, roulette, which originated in France in the 18th century. Today it’s spun in land-based and online casinos around the world, and is available in a number of versions. Our Online Roulette Guide takes a closer look at how to play roulette, available strategies, roulette odds, the legal aspect for Canadian play and various other benefits, features and factors surrounding this popular table game. 

How to Play Roulette Online

Online roulette is one of the easiest table games to master. Simply take your pick from the online casino roulette variants available in the software and familiarise yourself with the betting options. Whatever version you choose, you’ll start off by placing a table bet and then spinning the virtual wheel. This will trigger a ball to be launched onto the spinning wheel, which will land in one of the numbered pockets at the end of the spin. The number and colour of this pocket will then determine whether you win or lose. What are your online roulette betting options? Red or black, individual numbers, low numbers, high numbers, odd numbers, even numbers, groups of numbers (1 – 12, 13 – 24 or 25 – 36) and combinations of 2, 3 or 4 numbers. 

How Do Online Roulette Odds Work?

If you’re playing online roulette in Canada for real money, it’s important to understand how roulette odds work. This goes hand-in-hand with payout ratios and is affected by the number of pockets on the table. American Roulette tables have numbers 1 – 36, 0 and 00 (38 pockets), while European (and French) Roulette wheels comprises of 1 – 36 and a single 0 (37 pockets). Should you bet on black playing American Roulette, you’d then have a 1 in 18 (47.37%) chance to win or 52.63% chance to lose. The difference is the advantage the house has, also known as the house edge, which is 5.26%. The same calculation for European (and French) Roulette gives a lower house edge outcome of 2.7%, due to the fact that its wheel doesn’t contain a double zero. In laymen’s terms, you’ll have a slightly better chance of winning on European Roulette. 

Different Types of Online Roulette

Most reputable online casinos provide players with a choice of at least two of the following three types of online roulette games:

European Online Roulette
Players will find the following numbers on the European Roulette wheel: 0 – 36. That gives it a total of 37 pockets and a low house edge of 2.7%.

American Online Roulette
This Vegas version of roulette displays the following numbers on the wheel: 0 – 36 and 00. That means a total of 38 pockets, potentially bigger payouts and a slightly higher house edge of 5.26%.

French Online Roulette
French Roulette is almost exactly the same as European Roulette with numbers 0 – 36 available on the wheel. The only differences? It offers added La Partage and En Prison insurance. 

How to Play Live Dealer Roulette

The evolution of online gambling in Canada and the rest of the world has seen live casino table games added to the line-up. Once logged into your casino software, simply keep an eye out for the Live Dealer option and select your preferred live dealer roulette game. Once you’re seated, you’ll get to interact with an actual person, a live dealer, spinning the roulette wheel in real time, and allowing you to see and hear every activity, thanks to audio and video streaming. 

How to Use an Online Roulette Strategy

There’s no secret or cheat sheet to winning when playing roulette online. However, you can choose the best online roulette strategy to ensure your bankroll lasts longer. Over the decades, a few reputable strategies have been designed to do just that – and they’re useful for land-based, online and live dealer roulette play alike. If you’re keen on finding out how to play roulette online and win at regular intervals, the following strategies might help:

  • The Martingale Strategy lets you double your bet size after a loss.
  • The Labouchere Strategy encourages you to cancel numbers after a win.
  • The D’Alembert Strategy advises you to increase your chips as you lose and decrease your bet size when you win.
  • The Fibonacci Strategy is a little trickier, letting you add up your present and previous bet size to determine the next bet. When you win, you go back two bet sizes.
  • The Paroli Strategy tells you to get 3 wins in a row and double up on your bet size after you’ve won. 

Roulette Strategy

Casino vs Online Roulette

There are some differences in playing roulette at a land-based casino versus playing roulette online. The most obvious is, of course, location. If you live within quick travel distance from a bricks-and-mortar casino, it might be worth the time and effort to visit an actual casino where you can interact with other players. However, if you live in a remote area with no such facilities nearby, a reputable online casino will give you access to the best online roulette games imaginable. The beauty of playing online is that you can play from literally anywhere and everywhere. All you need is a PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone, and Internet connectivity. Most online casinos offer both virtual and live dealer roulette options, so you can choose how immersive or real you’d like your experience to be. The odds, strategies available, payout opportunities and table layouts are the same online as at tangible casinos. 

Is it Legal to Play Online Roulette in Canada?

There are some grey areas in the Canadian law where online gambling is concerned. What is clear, is that hosting a gambling website in Canada is considered illegal, so you’re not allowed to operate any kind of gambling site, which would include online roulette, via a computer within their borders. However, as a player, the law is less clearly defined. So it’s not considered illegal for Canadian players to spin the roulette wheel online at a legal, international online casino. 

Is Online Roulette Fair?

While some might say online roulette is rigged or fixed, the truth is that it’s simply a game of chance and not of skill. And since the house edge for all versions of online casino roulette games are known to players, there is 100% transparency from the online casinos’ side. All online casinos use a RNG (Random Number Generator) system in their software to determine the outcome of each spin. Just like the laws of physics aren’t controlled when a roulette wheel spins at a land-based casino, the RNG system ensures that the results of spins are always random. So you can spin any online roulette wheel, knowing that the outcome cannot be determined by yourself or the casino. And while strategy can help you play a little longer, luck is ultimately what you need to win.